All out of ideas for what to make for dinner tonight? Allow me. One of my go-to vegan dinner recipes is this quick and easy tomato spelt risotto. By quick, I mean it’ll take you 30 minutes to make…and 3 minutes to eat.
I use uncooked spelt grains because I find them really filling in a meal but you could use quinoa, bulgur wheat, cous cous – or whatever grain you have in your kitchen! Likewise, the beauty of this easy stir fry recipe is you can throw pretty much anything into it so swap up the vegetables to include whatever you have in your fridge. This recipe is dairy-free, sugar-free and packed with nutrients.
As I said, this is a pretty filling recipe so I usually eat the risotto on its own but it works really well alongside a leafy green salad or, if you have the time, with roasted sweet potato or as a filling for baked potato. I know what I’ll be cooking for dinner tonight.
Healthy vegan dinner recipe: Spicy tomato spelt risotto
- Half red pepper, washed and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 small broccoli florets, washed and chopped
- 1 cup of spelt grains, well rinsed
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato paste
- Generous sprinklings of black pepper, chili (or a few slices of fresh red chili) and a pinch of no salt vegetable stock cube
- Other options: sun dried tomatoes, cubes of tofu, sliced mushroom – pretty much any veg you like!
- Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, broccoli, carrot and red pepper. If you’d like to make this recipe extra spicy, you can use a few slices of chopped red chili and you’d add it to the pan at this stage.
- While the vegetables are happily sautéing for about 10 minutes, add spelt grains to a saucepan with 2-3 glasses of water. Boil for 10 minutes or until there’s very little water left. Remove from heat and pop a lid on the saucepan.
- Add a pinch of stock cube and a glass or two of water to the vegetables which should be starting to soften on the pan now. Stir and reduce the heat slightly.
- Add the half-cooked spelt grains, stir so they’re well mixed with the vegetables and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for a few minutes and add a tablespoon of water if it’s getting too dry.
- Add the tomato paste, dashes of chili and black pepper and stir well throughout.
- Turn off the heat, cover and allow to simmer until the spelt is cooked and the risotto is wet and juicy, not watery. I like spelt to be soft and puffed up with the steam but if you prefer risotto with a little bite, remove it from the heat about 5 minutes earlier. Enjoy!
I’m always looking for healthy vegan dinner recipes so I’d love to hear your favourite recipes in the comments or tweet me @_Lisa_Hughes. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram where I share my food pics first. Looking for another healthy vegan dinner recipe? Try this delicious lentil stew recipe.